Saturday 11 February 2017

La La Land (2016) (Review)

So on the 10th February I went to see a double bill of La La Land followed by T2: Trainspotting, and I sat down for the long haul, eagerly anticipating the movies that lay in front of me. First up, was La La Land.

La La Land is an exceptional film. On every technical level it exceeds (although sometimes the sound mixing is poor with the actors voices slightly too quiet), and the acting and writing too exceeded my expectations and created one of the most entertaining, gripping and emotional experiences I have EVER had in a cinema.

Before the film even started my foot was tapping, my whole body buzzing for the film ahead; not since The Force Awakens (or perhaps Civil War) have I been this physically excited for a film to begin. The opening? It did NOT disappoint. From the first musical number - I was hook, line and sinker for this film.

As the film progresses Damien Chazelle's writing really comes to the foreground. Although the music was still exceptional, I found myself much more intrigued by the story and characters - without the music - than I thought I would be. I found myself drawn so far into their magnetizing relationship which drew me to the edge of my seat, the edge of happiness. I didn't want to fall in. But I did.

The last ten minutes destroyed me. I fell over the edge and into the dark depths of broken love. I could barely hold off the tears as we witness, from Seb's perspective what could of been, something so common for us as a society to do. We always look to what could of been, sometimes never truly living in the  moment of what we have. That final look between Seb and Mia ruined me. If the film wasn't going to get a glistening review before those final ten minutes, it would be now.

La La Land was one of the greatest experiences I can remember in recent memory of having in a cinema. It was exciting, bold and, throughout, exceptionally beautiful. This is how cinema should be.

My Score: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment