Saturday 27 February 2016

Drive (2011) Review

Based on the James Sallis book of the same name, Nicolas Winding Refn has managed to craft a stunning, tense neo-noir thriller excites me everytime I watch it as well as allowing me to fall in love with it all over again everytime I watch it.  This film works on every level and despite hardly speaking, Ryan Gosling's character is engrossing, powerful and one of my favorite characters put to screen.

The film grabbed me from the off, keeping the atmosphere tense and the suspension strong. I've heard powerful scores and incredible soundtracks before but this film is the only film in recent memory which has forced me to purchase the soundtrack and listen to it on an almost daily basis. It is simply A-MAZ-ING. It is both dark and light, powerful and soft and is perfect in the moments its used in and with me listening to the soundtrack in the film with such heightened awareness, makes the silent moments even more powerful.

I have already shared this film with everyone, and despite its hyper violence and nudity, I even shared it with my mum twice and my uncle - it's that damn good. Its visual style is neat and engaging and works just as well as a work of art as it does a piece of cinema. It's rare a film is this engaging and surprising AND manages to keep its replayability factor and allows you to discover a new love for it everytime you view it. If I had to sum up this film in one word? Stunning.

My score: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment