Saturday 27 February 2016

Short Term 12 (2013) Review

I watched this film late at night, emotionally vulnerable and completely unaware of what this film was going to put me through. It - was - painful. Was it worth? 1000% yes it was worth it.

This film pulled me through pain, after pain, after pain - emotional hit, after hit, after hit - yet still by the end of the film I managed to find a small smile on my face after I saw one of the most emotionally gripping films I've seen in recent memories which is a must view for film fans, but in my opinion, one of the most vital youth films in my recent memory.

Brie Larson is amazing in this film and in my opinion the most exciting young actress working in hollywood today (sorry J-Law), as proven with not only this film but her recent acting masterclass, Room. She carries this film and although some of the younger performances are amazing, it is her performance which gets you captivated and make you sit on the edge of your seat through her trials and tribulations. Talking about the younger performers, Kaitlyn Dever and Keith Stanfield almost stole the show if it wasn't for Brie Larson because they. are. incredible. Everytime they are on screen they don't waste a moment, your attention completely on them as they prove that it doesn't how old you are as long as you're talented - and boy, are these two and the rest of the cast talented.

The directing is by the book, the film more about its acting than its visual or musical presentation, but that doesn't mean the director doesn't do a fine job here. He clearly loves this film, which is obvious considering this originated as a short film years before and he's kept with the film ever since, he crafts a thoughtful, powerful screenplay which led me close to tears (I'm man enough to admit).

This film is powerful, emotional and definitely worth watching as it will genuinely make you go on an emotional journey that you will never forget (or maybe you will, I don't know, I'm not a psychic.)

My score: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment