Sunday 28 February 2016

The Lobster (2015) (Mini-Review)

I rented this film as I heard good hype around it with my mum and uncle - this was a mistake. Don't watch it with your family (well watch it with them if you want, but at your own risk!)

The Lobster is a film. A good film? Maybe. A bad film? Maybe. Never have I been so split with a film that I have been with this one. Is it an artistic psychological cinematic statement which works on the level that Yorgos Lanthimos expected it to? Or - is it a pretentious film that doesn't make sense filled with plot irregularities and nonsensical ideas with acting from Colin Farrell that seems like he's just showing up for the paycheck? My uncle and mum though the later - I actually thought the former.

This film is not for everyone - it doesn't make sense, but that is what it's going for. After seeing Dogtooth from Lanthimos, I knew what I was getting into and I wasn't disappointed. Again here he demonstrates his love for societal commentary providing a dark, disturbing and sometimes funny look into how we live our lives and he does so in such a way that left me completely intrigued as to where the film was going next.

If you don't like experimental, artistic bordering on pretentious films - this isn't the film for you, however if you are a fan of dark, psychological social commentary then I'd definitely give this one a go. I personally can't wait to see Lanthimos' next film and just hope it's a dark, disturbing and wacky as I've come to expect.

My score: 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment