Sunday 28 February 2016

Taxi Driver (1976) Review (Mini-Review)

Taxi Driver, a neo-noir psychological thriller written by Paul Schrader and directed by the legendary Martin Scorsese, is the type of film that stays with you well after you've stopped watching the film. Despite being made 40 years ago (this year being its 40th anniversary) it doesn't just hold up - it surpasses many of the thrillers put into production today, eat your heart out hollywood.

Robert De Niro plays Travis Bickle in a role that completely transforms him, and every moment I spent watching this movie, as it progressed, I saw less and less of De Niro and more and more of the tormented Travis as his intentions rose to the surface. Apart from De Niro the film still boasts a star studded cast including a young Jodie Foster and a ridiculously creepy Harvey Keitel add to the film and create a worthwhile experience that you come to expect from such a talented director as Scorsese.

With this film Scorsese manages to create a shattering psychological experience that is not only an accomplished cinematic experience, but a work of art. The film has aged well in its 40 years and it's obvious this film will just get better with time and upon every viewing.

My score: 9/10

2 comments:

  1. I actually just started reading the screenplay to this yesterday. Weird huh :P Really liking the Blog so far James and it may be a little early but I wondered if you'd be interested in doing a little collaboration with mine

    http://musicmotionmadnessfilm.blogspot.co.uk/

    I've read a couple collabs over at 'And So It Begins' (which is a fantastic film blog) and think it'd be interesting to get a few perspectives on the same questions i.e best directors, films, writing, performances ect.

    I'll be posting a review for The Dark Knight tomorrow, trying to give a fair analysis of why I DONT like it as dispassionately as possible. Would be great to see one of a film you don't like- but everyone else does (or vice versa) :) Keep it up man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to collab with you :)
      And the only reason why I've yet to review films I don't like is that I'm going through a list, believe me theres a couple coming which I cannot wait to rip on ;)

      Delete